Secrets from a Top Title I School in Indiana with Principal Jayson Snyder
How does an improving Title I school do it? What are the improvement secrets? Jayson Snyder, principal of Meadows Edge Elementary in Indiana, shares the secrets: formative assessment, intentional intervention, and how data-driven instruction should look. They work hard to train teachers and have a “yet” mindset.
Jayson’s emphasis on “the power of Yet” is transformational. Before the school started, the teachers learned about the growth mindset and Carol Dweck’s research. They listed areas that they hadn’t mastered “yet.” The year started with teachers sharing their “not yet” items and then students set “not yet” goals. Improvement has become part of their culture with this shift.
There are so many things happening in Jayson’s school, but I love how he still has the heart of a teacher. Take a listen to the show and spend time on the takeaways from the show. I’ve embedded Carol Dweck’s Power of Yet TED Talk at the bottom.
Top Takeaways from this Show
- Meadow’s Edge Elementary
- Acuity – formative assessment used in the Indiana schools
- Exit Slips explained on ReadWriteThink
- Socrative – one of Vicki’s favorite 3 formative assessment tools
- Plickers – one of Vicki’s favorite 3 formative assessment tools
- Kahoot – one of Vicki’s favorite 3 formative assessment tools
- MUST READ BOOK for Every Parent and Educator: Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
- Power of Yet [TED Video with Carol Dweck]
- 5 Fantastic, Fast, Formative Assessment Tools [Edutopia Blog Post by Vicki Davis]
The post ECM 148: What Every Teacher Can Learn from a Title I School appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog.
from Cool Cat Teacher Blog http://ift.tt/1Jt4fgb